Monday, November 8, 2010

One Way To Evict My Idols

There is a famous sermon by an old dead guy titled "The Expulsive Power of a New Affection." I tried to read the sermon but got more out of the title than the first two pages so I quit. Luckily, the title is powerful enough that the rest of the sermon isn't necessary.

"The expulsive power of a new affection."

Or.... "finding something new that you care about more than something old has the power to replace your affections for the old thing."

When I heard this, I suddenly realized one important aspect of getting rid of idols, or in my case, putting my hope and joy in God instead of my success.

I was under the impression that I needed to figure out how to change my perspective. However, the enlightenment here is that what I actually have to do is focus on building my relationship with God. The more I develop an affection for God, the less I'll put my hope and security in success.

This is true of many things that plague mankind. The more we open our hearts to God, the less room we have for everything else. I'm going to put a lot of time into drawing closer to God over the next few months versus focusing on "fixing" my issues. I'm hoping I can get some of the bad tenants taking space in my heart evicted.



No comments:

Post a Comment