Friday, November 5, 2010

I'm a Crazy Idol Worshipper!

I recently read Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller and never found a book so convicting. Keller defines a counterfeit God (or an Idol ) as anything that has power over you.
“An idol is whatever you look at and say, in your heart of hearts, ‘If I have that, then I’ll feel my life has meaning, then I’ll know I have value, then I’ll feel significant and secure.’”
It seems obvious that this is a flawed perspective but I have to admit, I’m guilty. I spend 80% of my time seeking security and meaning through business success. As an entrepreneur, my success is measured in millions of dollars. In my worldview, success isn’t even possible at anything less than $1 million in revenue annually. I’m not just talking about business success here but this is how I measure my personal success… as a person.

The reason I started to read this book is because I realized I was putting my happiness on hold. I was constantly telling myself that once I’m a millionaire, I’ll “feel significant and secure.” I had made entrepreneurship an idol and I worshipped it every day in hopes that I’d eventually find joy therein.

Then my friend, Ryan, called me out on this logic. He asked me how much happier I feel when I have achievements in business? Hmm… not that different. “Did you tell yourself you’d feel happy when you are where you are today?” Hmm… yes. I did.

I realize now that putting happiness on hold thinking that “success” is the solution is like walking through a dessert for a cup of water that turns out to be empty. I’m lucky I’m realizing now that the cup is empty so I can walk a different direction.

But realizing it isn’t the solution…
“We need to find a way to keep from clutching them [idols] too tightly, of being enslaved to them. We will never do so by mouthing abstractions about how great God is. We have to know, to be assured, that God so loves, cherishes, and delights in us that we can rest our hearts in him for our significance and security and handle anything that happens in life.”
“Money can not save your from tragedy, or give you control in a chaotic world. Only God can do that. What breaks the power of money over us is not just redoubled effort to follow the example of Christ. Rather, it is deepening your understanding of the salvation of Christ, what you have in him, and then living out the changes that that understanding makes in your heart – the seat of your mind, will, and emotions.”
I know… the solution is still a little abstract. My next post will address an understanding I’ve come to realize about how to actually rid yourself of idols.

No comments:

Post a Comment