Sunday, November 14, 2010

I'm Already Dead

A few weeks ago, Andy Holt, a pastor at Heritage Christian Church in Westerville, Ohio spoke about agape love referencing 1 John Chapter 4.

He pointed out that the word agape in the Greek is actually meant to define the kind of love that is sacrificial. As in “laying down your life” for someone you love. This is the type of love Jesus demonstrated for us and is the type of love God desires in return.

As I seek an understanding of how to place my hope and joy in God instead of my achievements (false idols), this point is extremely enlightening.

Andy said that with this type of love for God, there is no reason to be insecure because “you’re already dead.”

“I’m already dead?” I thought immediately. As the point sunk in, I started to realize that this is another great point for me in my quest to rid my heart of the idols I worship. I strive for success because it gives me my identity. However, if I loved God the way he loves me, my worldly identity wouldn’t matter because… well… I’m dead [to the world]. I want to love God that much. I guess this desire is the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment